Monday, July 11, 2016

Mission Accomplished?

Six months ago I started my mission at a formation camp with VIDES+USA in San Antonio, Texas where I was introduced and accepted into the wonderful community of the Salesian Sisters.  The formation camp provided a good introduction to the values and educational methods promoted by the Sisters in the missions that they operate in. I knew that it was not going to be easy serving my mission in Ethiopia, but it was a challenge that I was looking for. It was also very important for me that I do this experience through a Catholic organization and VIDES, through the Salesian Sisters, proved to be an excellent choice.  In addition, Ethiopia has a rich history with Christianity, dating back to biblical times, so it made the experience that much more meaningful.

To recap, my mission in Dilla was to teach English to community college-level students.  It provided to be a challenging mission at the beginning not just because it was the first time teaching English but also because I had to teach students from a different culture/background. English is not a mandatory subject but since the semester-end examinations that are administered by the local government are all in English, the students are somehow expected to know and understand the language while taking their exams.  Well, the staff at Mary Help College did an excellent job this semester as all the students succeeded in passing their COC examinations (100% passing rate), which was a first for the school.  There was much joy and celebrations at the school, which was capped by a wonderful graduation ceremony.  But while I was able to complete my service of teaching English there were so many other things that my students and the community taught me during my stay in Dilla.

During my mission in Ethiopia, I was able to see first hand the great work that the Salesian Fathers and Sisters do for the community in Dilla. From the adoption program, to the feeding center, and the schools (kindergarten, primary, secondary, and college-level) that they operate, the Salesians really try to do everything to help the families in the community have better lives.  I also had the opportunity to visit their missions in other parts of the country, where they run similar programs to help the children from these communities.  For many families, the missions not only help provide their children with a better education but are also a source of employment.  What I admire the most is how the Sisters, many of whom left their homeland to go on mission, have dedicated their time, love, energy and faith to the people of this country.

At the end of the semester I traveled a bit to visit the northern part of the country, which contains many historical sites and beautiful landscapes. I saw the Blue Nile Waterfalls, the monolithic temples of Lalibela, the ancient stelas in Axum, as well as monasteries dating back 800 hundred years. Ethiopia is a beautiful country with kind people and a proud and ancient history.  The trip made me realize though that I was grateful and fortunate to have spent my time in Dilla.  I returned to Dilla in time to witness the kindergarten and college graduation ceremonies, which are momentous affairs for the students and their families.  This past Friday was sadly my last day in Dilla but these past few weeks have been very special and memorable as we said our farewells. Overall, I will definitely miss the people, the Sisters, my students, the staff, and the smiling children, all of whom made me feel at home over the past five months.


So what’s next in the horizon? I will be in Italy for one week to attend a conference for VIDES International, the organization that I am volunteering with.  VIDES missioners from around the world will share their moments and lessons learned from their different missions.  After a brief break to visit family and friends back home, I will return to volunteer with the Sisters but this time in Geneva, Switzerland.  The Sisters have a human rights office that collaborates closely with the United Nations.  It will be a different experience and type of work but I am hoping that I can incorporate my on the ground experience in Ethiopia with the human rights work that the Sisters promote in Geneva. So long for now, have a great summer and tune in for my next blog series, Discovering CHRISTian in Geneva!

3 comments:

  1. I saw all the pictures they are very interesting above all we admire all the good work you did in Dilla and keep doing this work because you are one of the few people that are doing this and who think about others leaving all the good things behind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very proud of you! What else can I say? :) Looking forward to seeing you soon! We miss you. Abrazos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gracias por compartir estos momentos tan inspiradores. Te felicito por haber sido capaz de seguir lo que te pedía tu corazón.. Tienes todo mi respeto y admiración.

    ReplyDelete