Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Adjusting to Life in Dilla

Leaving Addis early Saturday morning with Sr. Agnese.  
Today marks one week since I first landed in Ethiopia (it’s not the moon, but it certainly feels as far away from home!).  It’s been several days since arriving to Dilla after a day-long ride from Addis, the last 75km of which was on a bumpy road under construction.  The roadway is being modernized and it will connect the capital with the Kenyan border.  However, rather than working on small sections, a large swathe of the roadway has been ripped apart, thus turning a two-hour drive between Dilla and Zway (half-way point from Addis) into a four-hour long trip.  



The "akacha" trees that can survive this arid climate.
The road from Addis to Zway leads southward from the cooler temperatures of the highlands, to a drier and warmer climate.   Along the way we saw small dust devils and a herd of camels (of the one-hump variety).  The landscape from Zway to Dilla then changes from arid brown to lush green, which reminds me a lot of Curacao and the Colombian / Venezuelan countryside.


Popcorn is served while the coffee is prepared.


The Salesian sisters live on a large compound at the entrance of Dilla that houses several school buildings, a bakery, a clinic, a library, and a tea/coffee shop for the students.  Mangos, papayas, and avocados grow in abundance, and the coffee bushes are in bloom. The coffee is delicious and I was fortunate to be welcomed by the school staff with a traditional Ethiopian coffee ceremony.   


The traditional layout of the ceremony.

Adjusting to Dilla has not been too difficult, as these surroundings feel very familiar to me.
The one thing I am probably still adjusting too is sleeping with a mosquito net although at the moment, there aren’t too many mosquitos since it is the dry season. But I can’t really complain about anything else as everyone has been very hospitable and friendly.  I have also enjoyed being immersed in their everyday conversations, even though I don’t understand much, but I am quickly learning Amharic phrases every day.

Today many of you celebrated Ash Wednesday but for the Ethiopian Orthodox Church, Lent does not start for another two weeks.  For those of you celebrating Lent, I leave you with a quote from Pope Francis, which I am going to take to heart during the Lent season in Ethiopia: "Lent comes providentially to reawaken us, to shake us from our lethargy." 

6 comments:

  1. Awesome! Thanks for keeping in touch. I can almost see you as you write since I have seen lots of pictures of Ethiopia from previous missioners. Do send us some, Then we will really see you there. S Agnese wrote to me twice she is very happy that you are there. Thanks for the love with which you are serving. May you and them have an awesome experience even though the difficult times that might come around. I hope you are also catching up with your sleep. I heard a travel agent advising his customers to walk in the local sun, so their body-clocks adjust to the new place and they do not suffer as much from jet-lag. Lots of love and prayer from all of US!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am some much looking forward to some of your photos of your surroundings and your everyday life. My thoughts are with you and wish you success in your life' search and adventure. The net is a good idea with the Zika mosquitoes on the prowl. Please take good care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take care, Christian! Em and I are looking forward to following your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris! I loved reading your story and looking at the pictures of the coffee ceremony. I'm glad to know that you're adjusting well to these adventure. We think about you often and send you lots off hugs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Primo, keep the stories coming. We are impatiently waiting to read more of your experiences.

    ReplyDelete