Monday, February 1, 2016

Beginning the Journey...



Tomorrow, Tuesday, February 2, I embark on a new mission that will take me to Dilla, Ethiopia where I will be joining the Salesian sisters as a volunteer missioner through the VIDES program. My primary assignment will be to teach English at a technical college but I have been advised to “expect the unexpected” while on mission.  This is a new challenge for me since I have never stepped foot on the African continent.  In addition, my only experience in the classroom has been at work leading sessions on due diligence and anti-money laundering topics.  But I’m confident that somehow, these skills will transition well to my future classes.

Never would I have thought that being a missioner was in store for me but God does work in mysterious ways. But I can say that my journey started when I consciously decided last year to be closer to my faith and underwent the process of getting my confirmation.  I selected St. Vincent de Paul, patron saint of charitable work, so it is fitting that I decided to undergo this mission to do charity work in Ethiopia, a country that also has a long history with Christianity. Incidentally, tomorrow is also the Feast Day of the Presentation of the Lord, and in some ways, I feel that I am also presenting myself to the people of Ethiopia to do God’s work there.


I could not have embarked on this tremendous adventure though without the support of my close friends, family and colleagues. There will be challenging obstacles along the way but I hope to also find many of God’s graces on this journey.   This mission has finally begun and I can’t wait to share as much of this experience as I can with all of you!

5 comments:

  1. I wish you the most amazing time... Doing great for others. Buena suerte y cuspidate mucho.... I will be following your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited to keep in touch and hear about all your adventures through your blog and pictures. Travel safely and keep that momentum going. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will follow your journey of giving with great excitement. Thank you for sharing this adventure, that will help shape your future. So go and make others smile, for that is how they will remember your. We are on our way to tomorrow, on the road called today. Hans

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful decision you made and what a wonderful experience you'll have. As these kids learn from you, you will learn as much from them. Enjoy this journey!

    ReplyDelete